Ghan House, built in 1727, is a tree length away from the Medieval Heritage Town of Carlingford and a stone's throw from Carlingford Lough.
It provides a great base for exploring the area;
- 40 minutes drive is the ancient UNESCO burial sites - 5,000 years old - of Newgrange & Knowth
- 35 minutes drive is the majestic Celtic crosses (10th Century) & round tower of Monasterboice.
- The ancient seat of the High Kings of Ireland at Tara (over 4,500 yrs old) is just 70 minutes drive, as is Trim Castle.
- The informative Battle of the Boyne centre in Oldbridge is just a 40 minute drive - it outlines the biggest battle in history of Ireland which took place in 1690. - The fabulous Titanic Museum is just 55 minutes drive and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of The Giant's Causeway is a 135 minutes drive.
- Slieve Gullion forest drive, adventure playground & ancient passage tombs on the summit of Slieve Gullion - 25 minute drive.
- enjoy a 20 minute trip on The Carlingford Lough Scenic ferry – a 5 minute drive away & explore the mesmeric Mourne Mountains.
- Both capital cities of Ireland – Dublin & Belfast are a 1hr drive or less by train from nearby Newry & Dundalk.
Back at Ghan House, enjoy the 3 acres of walled gardens, log fires & candlelit dinner in the 2AA Rosette restaurant which celebrates all that we have around us – such as the Cooley or Mourne Mountain lamb & beef and the abundance of Carlingford oysters, mussels & lobster from Carlingford Lough.
In addition we have our own herb & vegetable gardens.
The 4* bedrooms, all en-suite, have sea or mountain views and they have been recommended as ‘One of ‘Best 100 places to stay in Ireland’ every year since 1998 in John & Sally McKenna’s Guide to Ireland.
Free off street parking, free wi-fi and 2 electric car charging points.
The Medieval Heritage town of Carlingford, nestling at the foot of Slieve Foy has much to offer; 2 castles, 2 piers & harbour, town gate, mint, Dominican abbey, town wall, medieval streets & lane ways, restaurants, pubs, cafés and stylish shops.
And much to do – such as;
- smell the gorse & heather on one of the looped walks on the mountain.
- breath in the fresh sea air on the banks of Carlingford Lough on the Carlingford Greenway.
- invigorate the heart on the mountain ropes course & zipline at Skypark
- hire bicycles – both traditional and electric to explore the area further.
Many environmental initiatives have been implemented at Ghan House such as; an air source heat pump for hot water & central heating, rain water from the roof of Ghan House goes under the car park and directly into the pond, bathroom extraction fans on movement sensors and composting & waste recycling.
Open: All year except for 24th - 26th December and 31st December - 2nd January inclusive
All our double or twin bedrooms have as standard;
King Size bed or bigger (5ft x 6 1/2 ft), mountain views, bath & power shower en- suite, family antiques & free wi-fi.
Main House - 4 bedrooms
3 double (1 with extra single bed) and one single.
All doubles have claw foot roll top bath and separate power shower. Garden bedrooms - 8 bedrooms
Located 10 yards to the side of the Main House - all with mountain views - no road or car park in sight! We have double, double + single, double + single + sofa bed and family room with double and bunk beds.
4 garden bedrooms upstairs have bath & power shower over bath en-suite.
3 ground floor garden bedrooms have claw foot bath & separate power shower.
1 garden ground floor bedroom has wet room power shower, no bath.
Rooms: 12 - Rates: €85 - €125pp accommodation & breakfast or €125 - €175 pps accommodation, breakfast and evening dinner
The restaurant has maintained 2 AA rosettes for 8 years.
Winners, all Ireland, 'Gourmet's Getaway of the Year 2019' Irish Hotels Awards. Dining is at a leisurely pace - you have your table for the whole evening. Book direct for best value accommodation & restaurant packages.
Restaurant capacity: 54 persons
Restaurant Awards / Accolades:
2 AA rosette awarded restaurant, Best Chef in Leinster 2019, Fine Dining Hotel of the Year 2019, Gourmet Getaway of the Year 2019, Hotel Restaurant of the Year 2019, Best Chef in Leinster 2015 & 2017, Best Country House Hotel in Ireland, Best emerging Irish cuisine 2019, Top 100 Wedding Venues in Ireland, Best Customer Service in County Louth, Best Hotel & Country House Restaurant, Best 100 Places to Stay in Ireland
The unique aspect of Ghan House is that you can have exclusive use of the whole house & gardens ~ which means, no other guests apart from your own! When the quality of the food is important to you, then our award winning chefs can produce a spread which befits your occasion!
We have beautiful views of Slieve Foy, the Mourne Mountains & Carlingford Lough from the walled gardens, all the public rooms & bedrooms. Georgian ambience, log fires, candlelight.
Wedding capacity: 2 - 110 persons
Looking for a quality alternative to a fluorescent lit hotel meeting room for your next meeting or team-building day away? Ghan House, just one hour from Dublin and Belfast, is a unique meeting & hospitality with a choice of 3 naturally lit conference rooms and 12 superb en-suite bedrooms. Carlingford Lough is a stones throw from our gardens and the medieval town of Carlingford just a tree length away. We work closely with the adventure centre, yacht sailing centre, escape rooms and bicycle hire bringing together a wealth of variety & experience on our doorstep.
Meeting capacity: 2 - 110 persons
Dublin airport - 60 minutes - 99 km
Belfast City airport - 60 minutes, 88 km
Belfast International airport - 75 minutes 96km